Sunday 12 April 2015

Day 7 - Not Important


Most of the time, searching for hedges, low spots in a field, and other reference points from the map and guide book made our Shakespeare’s Way walk more interesting and fun.   

We even thought it was funny when we walked past our B&B in Enstone, the Swan Lodge, three times before recognizing it.  The Swan likes to keep its sandwich board sign folded up and halfway up the lane.

But our walk around Enstone also reminded me of the pleasures that come when you don’t have to scan the horizon, to search for a style, to decide which faint path is the right one or to think.  It’s nice to just walk and daydream a bit.

You can do that when you following the streets in Chipping Norton or the marked path through the medieval earth works of Old Chalford Village or the trail bordered by forest between Clevely and the A44.

Without consistent Internet access, we read unconnected material most of the time.   Aside from books and maps about our walk, Michele had her paperback of Bill Bryson’s Notes from a Small Island.  I assumed that she was recalling the funny bits when snorting, chortling, and breathing heavily along the trail.

I had my Kindle with some old downloads including the 25th Anniversary edition of Steven R. Covey’s Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. This is what I read at night during our walk on Shakespeare’s Way, and this is what infiltrated my thoughts during those map-free stretches of walking during the day.

 The late Mr. Covey’s book pioneered the concept of four quadrants of time management urging us to focus on what was important and to think long term.

At night, reading the book in a darkened room, the ideas made sense and resonated as they did decades ago when I first read them.

But during the day, walking along the path through the woods, I kept thinking “when I get home I’m going to work on my agenda so I spend more time doing stuff that is Not Urgent and Not Important.”