Sunday 12 April 2015

Day 4 - Shopping on Stour

“I’m going to go out - and buy a pair of gaiters.”

“A pair of what ?”

“Gaiters -  you know those things you wear around your legs to keep the snow out of your boots,” she said pointing at her manure-and-mud covered legs.

Smugly, I snorted a laugh, shook my head, and went back to scraping off my boots with a stick.  I thought she was funny for two reasons.  First, it amused me to see my wife struggling to keep her clothes clean for a change.  I’m usually the one who has spilt something on his shirt or has slipped on something messy.

But on this trip, I was better equipped than her.  With new water-resistent hiking boots and zip-leg pants (the kind that covert into shorts), I was able to wipe off and zip off the muddy bits with ease.  Michele was envious because I could make myself instantly presentable at places like the refurbished Old Mill Inn on the edge of Shipston on Stour.

The other reason I found humour in Michele’s gaiter-buying plan came from our day’s walk and my limited knowledge of this new town.  For most of the day, we would have had trouble buying a stick of gum let alone a piece of equipment that I associate with cross country skiing and winters in Ottawa.

After leaving Halford, a place where the Gulf Station and store proudly announces “No Toilet,” but has tons of things to drink, we passed through points on the map that might be better described as "cluster of trees," "old bridge," and "sewage station."  Not a great  shopping area and not much different from the other towns we had seen so far.

But this is not true of Shipston on Stour.

It turns out that this is a fairly busy little crossroads and has a lively commercial area around the town’s “Market Square.”
Oh yeah, and it has different places to eat and more than one good pub.  We spent a couple of hours at one, first sipping our beer and then sipping our dinner (literally, I had, for the first and last time, a meat pie drenched in suet – the liquefied mutton fat drawn, I was told, from around “the loins and kidneys.”)

What was I thinking ?  Not sure.

What was I saying ?  Oh yeah, the Market Square and the stores.

So, as it turns out, within a block of the Mill Inn, Michele entered a store, the very first one we came upon, and within minutes bought a pair of low cost gaiters to cover her legs.  I was stunned.

As I said, I underestimated the diversity of the commercial centre in Shipston on Stour.  This is understandable given our experience to that point.

But, really after all these years, I should not have underestimated my wife’s ability when it comes to shopping.